Wednesday, January 25, 2006

English Folk Star

I first saw him at Guilfest
And bought the CD
By Windsor I knew all the words

So I sang
And I smiled my best smile
He looked me dead in the eyes
All the way through
An odd, joyless gaze

Well, I wasn't familiar
With the works of Cifuentes
But I know Dorothy Fields allright
Embarrassed, I signed my name
On the band's mailing list, instead

At the Maltings, now famous,
He asked me to sit down
I flattered, awestruck
Met him once more dead in the eye
And
Something happened

He was - lonely - incredibly so
Like the homeless
Emotion, well, fantasy, flooded me
I dumbstruck, embarrassed, addicted, fought
An urge to help, yet couldn't lead him on

Later, I found
He had a partner and a kid
What was I ever to him but
Sally free and easy?
Hypocritical, maybe
I attempted to forgive

We owe it to our loved ones
To live in the Real World...

No comments: